Choose the nameserver locations you want to for your domain name
The first thing you would want to do is choose nameservers from our Nameserver list. You can pick the locations that would work best for your website. We recommend that your chose 4 nameservers from the list.
- Go to the Nameserver tab along the top of your control panel
- Choose a recommended 4 nameservers from our new Nameservers list
Updating Nameservers in PointDNS
Next you would want to update the nameservers on your domains in your PointDNS control panel to use our new nameservers.
- Click on the edit icon beside your domain name from the Domains list
- Click Edit icon beside one of the NS records from your DNS records
- Put in one of the nameservers that you chose from the Nameservers tab with a period at the end and then click Update Records. For example "dns-au.pointhq.com."
- Repeat the same process for each of your NS records and each of your domain names.
Update Nameservers with Registrar
Lastly you will need to update the Nameservers with your domain itself through your Registrar itself. This process will vary between registrars and you may need to check their knowledge base or reach out to their support on how to make those changes on your domain.
Here are guides on how to do that with some popular registrars:
- 123 Reg: https://www.123-reg.co.uk/support/domains/how-do-i-change-the-nameservers-for-my-domain-name/
- Blue Host: https://www.bluehost.com/help/article/use-custom-name-servers
- Domain.com: https://www.domain.com/help/article/domain-management-how-to-update-nameservers
- Enom: https://cp.enom.com/kb/kb/kb_0086_how-to-change-dns.htm
- GoDaddy: https://godaddy.com/help/change-nameservers-for-my-domains-664
- Google Domains: https://support.google.com/domains/answer/3290309
- NameCheap: https://www.namecheap.com/support/knowledgebase/article.aspx/767/10/how-to-change-dns-for-a-domain/
- Network Solutions: https://knowledge.web.com/subjects/article/KA-01111/en-us
- OpenSRS: https://help.opensrs.com/hc/en-us/articles/1260800197489-Changing-nameservers-in-the-reseller-control-panel-
- Resellerclub: https://blog.resellerclub.com/how-to-change-nameservers/
Updating custom nameservers
If you are using your own custom/personal nameservers on your domains that you manage through us you would need to update the Nameserver/Hostname/Glue records with your Registrar to include our new nameservers IP addresses for them to continue to work correctly.
You can find the IP addresses for our nameservers under the Nameserver tab in your control panel.
Updating them will be different between each Registrar and they can be called different things such as Custom Nameservers, Private Nameservers, Hostnames, Glue Records and etc. You may need to check your Registrars Knowledge base or get in contact with their Support if you having trouble finding where to update them.
Here is a list of how to update them with some popular registrars:
- 123 Reg: https://www.123-reg.co.uk/support/domains/how-to-add-private-nameservers-to-a-domain-name/
- Enom: https://cp.enom.com/kb/kb/kb_0307_modify-delete-nameservers.htm
- GoDaddy: https://ca.godaddy.com/help/edit-my-own-host-names-19269
- Google Domains: https://support.google.com/domains/answer/6147097?hl=en
- NameCheap: https://www.namecheap.com/support/knowledgebase/article.aspx/768/10/how-do-i-register-personal-nameservers-for-my-domain/
- Network Solutions: https://kb.iweb.com/hc/en-us/articles/230256028-Creating-Private-Nameservers-at-NetworkSolutions-com
- OpenSRS: https://help.opensrs.com/hc/en-us/articles/204191203-Adding-modifying-and-deleting-glue-records
- Resellerclub: https://manage.resellerclub.com/kb/servlet/KBServlet/faq498.html